Why do we use classes in system verilog verification environment?

class generator;
---
---
--
endclass

In reply to 15mvd0038:

This simple short question does not have a short answer, but I will give you one. Classes give you access to writing testbenches using an Object-Oriented Programming methodology. Writing a testbench is a software project. You should do some research on the benefits of OOP in software.

In reply to dave_59:

In reply to 15mvd0038:
This simple short question does not have a short answer, but I will give you one. Classes give you access to writing testbenches using an Object-Oriented Programming methodology. You should do some research on the benefits of OOP.

Hi Dave, sorry to snoop in with a somewhat related question, I’ve seen some nice videos about SV OOP (made by you), where you show about design patterns, lately I’ve been reading about the “Composition Pattern” and its benefits (I’m not expert in SW or programming in general), and I think it could be quite applicable in HW verification, do you know any example on how to implement this on SV?

In reply to rgarcia07:

uvm_component is sort of a composite pattern in terms of the tree structure it creates. The traversal of the component hierarchy is used to manage the configuration and factory overrides, as well as traversing the hierarchy to execute the different phases of the UVM.

In reply to dave_59:

Thank you for your quick response Dave.