Low-power verification (UPF methodology) in non-power aware simulation tool

Hi,

Currently I get a chance to verify the PMU (Power Management Unit) Block in Soc design.
I think this is an opportunity to develop low-power verification (UPF methodology) experience.
But I’m new for UPF methodology and I heard that this company is affordable to use the Power-Aware Simulator EDA Tool(Because the high cost of the EDA tool) and I found that some files are existing as “*.upf”.

From here, I’m wondering that whether Systemverilog or UVM can support low-power verification (UPF methodology) without such as PA-Tools and what things I need to do to get a low-power verification (UPF methodology) experience in this circumstance.

In reply to UVM_LOVE:

Low-power verification, particularly using UPF (Unified Power Format) methodology, is typically associated with specialized tools, such as power-aware simulators and power-aware debuggers. However, you can still perform some aspects of low-power verification using SystemVerilog and UVM even if you don’t have access to dedicated power-aware simulation tools.

Here are some general steps you can take to perform low-power verification using SystemVerilog and UVM:

Understand UPF:
Familiarize yourself with UPF (IEEE 1801) standard and its concepts. Understand how UPF is used to describe power intent in a design.
Manual Assertions:

Use SystemVerilog assertions (property, sequence, etc.) to manually model and verify power-related behaviors in your design.

Simulation Control:
Use SystemVerilog simulation control features to manage power modes and transitions in your design.

Custom Stimulus:
Develop custom stimulus to toggle power domains, create different power states, and observe the effects on the design.

Covergroups:
Implement covergroups to track coverage related to power states and transitions.

Clock Gating:
If applicable, model and verify clock gating using SystemVerilog constructs.

Leakage Power Modeling:
If you have information about power consumption in different states, you can manually model leakage power in your testbenches.

UVM-based Verification:
Integrate low-power features into your UVM-based testbenches. This could involve extending UVM sequences and creating new UVM components to handle power-related transactions.

Keep in mind that while you can perform some aspects of low-power verification using SystemVerilog and UVM, the comprehensive verification of advanced low-power features often requires dedicated power-aware simulators. These tools can provide accurate power estimation, better modeling of power states, and efficient handling of complex power scenarios.

If the company has UPF files and mentions power-aware simulation tools, it’s worth checking if there are specific instructions or recommendations regarding low-power verification within their environment. Additionally, discuss with your team or supervisor to understand the expectations and limitations associated with low-power verification in your specific project and toolset.

rahulvala@gmail.com
Freelancer/verification engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rahulvala/