How to access a changing RTL path?

Hi,

I want to get a value from an internal RTL signal. The name of one of the module in the hierarchy keeps changing with every simulation run. So how do I get the hierarchy name correct every time.
For example I want to access a ‘valid’ signal which is at following hierarchy-

dut.top_l1.hardware_mod_xzzrtyu.valid

The “xzzrtyu” keeps changing with every simulation run.

I tried uvm_hdl_force, uvm_hdl_read, assign statement;I tried putting * but seems regex don’t work.

Can someone please help here.

Thanks and regards,
Mark

In reply to Mark_128:

Can you explain why the hierarchical path is changing with every run? RTL paths should be static and not change.

In reply to cgales:

My DE is saying it’s a common practice. To be clear, the hierarchy path itself is not changing, it’s just that the module name suffix is randomized every run.

In reply to Mark_128:

I have never used a tool which generates random names for module instances. This behavior seems counter intuitive to good design practices. Perhaps there is a tool option to disable this functionality so that you don’t have to deal with this issue.

In reply to cgales:

Agreed it’s not a good design practice.
Is there a way we can do something from TB ?

In reply to Mark_128:

You could possible do something with the VPI to search your design for what you are looking for, but it’s hard to say without knowing more about your environment.

In reply to cgales:

Sorry, may I know what’s VPI ?

In reply to Mark_128:

From the SystemVerilog LRM:

The SystemVerilog Verification Procedural Interface (VPI) is part of the PLI. VPI provides a library of C language functions and a mechanism for associating foreign language functions with SystemVerilog user-defined system task and system function names.

One possibility is to update your flow to do the below :

• Compile the RTL alone.
  • Have a script figure out what the new module name is for this compile.
  • Have the script update TB with this new name.
  • Compile TB.
  • Run simulations.

That said, if these modules are coming from a HLS tool that randomizes the names on each run, your DE could add a wrapper whose name doesn’t change, and bring out signals required for TB to this wrapper. That way the TB doesn’t have to change.

As suggested earlier, it’s best to disalbe this random postfix if possible and have a static name.

In reply to KillSteal:

Another option if the module name is the same and there is only one instance of that module, is using the bind statement to attach a probe module.

See https://verificationacademy.com/forums/downloads/updated-example-code-dvcon-paper-missing-link-testbench-dut-connection