UVM Reg Model for 32 bit IP interface from 8 bit interface

Hi,

At the chip level we have 8 bit interface, and at the IP level we have 32 bit interface!!!
How can we achieve the UVM reg for 32 bit register using 8 bit interface as at a time from reg model only 8 bit data is send!!!

Any example will be helpful?

Regards
Taahir

In reply to syed taahir ahmed:

Can you clarify the problem (what do you mean by “IP”)? Is it UVM Verification IP or RTL?

Without fully understanding your specific scenario, I would suggest looking at n_bytes in the create_map function (if you haven’t already). If the bus width mismatches are solely in RTL and the RTL register must be updated 32-bits at a time, then that is an RTL bug.

In reply to dhserfer:

Can you clarify the problem (what do you mean by “IP”)? Is it UVM Verification IP or RTL?
Without fully understanding your specific scenario, I would suggest looking at n_bytes in the create_map function (if you haven’t already). If the bus width mismatches are solely in RTL and the RTL register must be updated 32-bits at a time, then that is an RTL bug.

Hi , Actually it’s RTL of the IP.

I think it’s not an bug, it’s implementation at RTL IP which had 32 but interface and at the chip level we only have 8 but interface.

Regards
Taahir

If the 32-bit RTL register does not behave correctly with an 8-bit R/W access then it is an RTL bug (it’s a matter of semantics, but a design flaw is still a bug from the verification point of view).

If you can update the register with 8-bit accesses then set n_bytes to “1” in the create_map method. Otherwise it requires an RTL fix (matching bus widths, or some sort of bridge or glue logic that builds a 32-bit access out of 4 8-bit accesses).

In reply to dhserfer:

Thanks , I’ll look in to it further and come back for the questions.

Regards
Taahir

Hi Taahir,

I am assuming there is an interconnect that downsizes the 32-bit register access to an 8-bit access at the system level.

I don’t think there is an easy way in UVM REG to downsize a 32-bit txn to an 8-bit txn. I would modify the driver to accept a 32-bit txn and split it into 4 beats while driving the bus.

Thanks,
Muffadal

In reply to muffadal-l:

Hi Taahir,
I am assuming there is an interconnect that downsizes the 32-bit register access to an 8-bit access at the system level.
I don’t think there is an easy way in UVM REG to downsize a 32-bit txn to an 8-bit txn. I would modify the driver to accept a 32-bit txn and split it into 4 beats while driving the bus.
Thanks,
Muffadal

Hi Muffadal,

Correct i think i should look in to the approach you suggested.
Also how about Back door approach?

Regards
Taahir

Hi Taahir,

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If the goal is to initialize the registers with certain set of values you can use the backdoor approach.

Thanks,
Muffadal