UVM Backdoor Write is not working as expected

Hi
I m trying a UVM backdoor write from a sequence.
The steps which i follow are :

1. In the build phase of the reg file where the register classes are built, i add
    reg_name.add_hdl_path_slice( inst1.inst2.inst3.reg_name_sig,0,32); where reg_name is the instance of the register of interest and reg_name_sig is the output of the instance inst3 in the design.
  2. In the build phase of the reg model where the reg file is built ( rf is the register file instance) i add
    add_hdl(uvm_env_top.tbench_top.DUT, RTL); where uvm_env_top is a module in which the testbench top module is instantiated. The DUT is the instance of the RTL in testbenchtop module
  3. In the register sequence, i call the following API
    rm.rf.reg_name.write(status, data, UVM_BACKDOOR); where rm is the register model instance
  4. In the log file, I observe the statement :
    Wrote register via DPI backdoor: rm.reg_name = 0x01
    But I do not observe the same in the waveform.
    The signal DUT.inst1.inst2.inst3.reg_name_sig is still 0 and the write doesnt take effect
    Can anyone please give me inputs on whether the method i followed for backdoor write is correct. If not, what is to be done?

In reply to Girisha Angadi Basavaraja:

Hi Girisha
Thanks for the input, but that doesn’t help much because the register also doesn’t reflect the value written.

Hi Girisha,

What about there’re some registers don’t exist so that the hdl_path won’t match them and reports UVM_ERROR for not found the hdl path. Is it the reason why the APB bus still have signal changes?

Thank you!

Regards,
Wenjun

Hi Girisha,

I’m trying to add hdl_path according to types of registers like global, statistics regs .etc

Almost all of the registers are from 0 to ff, but some of them like global_reg_0 doesn’t exist. I added their hdl_path by type so that the hdl_path of global_reg_0 is generated though there’s no such reg. Then UVM reports error about not found the hdl_path.

Thank you!

Regards,
Wenjun

Hi Girisha,

Thank you. I’ll keep digging.

Regards,
Wenjun