Randomization

are you using $urandom and $random inside the class in SystemVerilog?

1 Like

In reply to anvesh dangeti:

I didn’t get your question exactly.
But, you can use both $random or $urandom inside SV class.
However, $urandom returns 32 bit unsigned value and $random returns 32 bit signed value.

my question is
we are able to you using “$urandom” and “$random” inside the class in SystemVerilog?
yes we can use
but it is un-constraint methods.

$urandom and $random are both functions returning 32-bit integral values that can be used in any integral expression. They cannot use be used in a constraint expression because they are not “pure” functions; they both modify a seed value which is not part of the return value.

$random should not be used with any SystemVerilog code.

In reply to dave_59:

Hi Dave,

Will you please help to explain more about below statement.

They cannot use be used in a constraint expression because they are not "pure" functions; they both modify a seed value which is not part of the return value.

Thanks!

In reply to harsh pandya:

See section 18.5.12 Functions in constraints in the IEEE 1800-2017 SystemVerilog LRM. Both these system function violate these restrictions.

In reply to dave_59:

Hi Dave,

I have gone through section you mentioned.
So, as per second rule says “( preserve no state information )”
And as you mentioned, $random/urandom modify seed value and not share/return modify seed value.
Hence, it violation of rules.
Is it correct understanding ?

Thanks!

In reply to harsh pandya:

Correct.

In reply to dave_59:
Thanks Dave for your guidance…!!

I am not understanding what we are saying. please elaborate some better explanation.

Your question is very ambiguous. “Can you use $urandom in a class?” The answer to that is a generic yes. But could you write

class A;
  $urandom;
endclass

The answer to that is no, it’s not valid syntax.

But you could write the following

class A;
  int I = $urandom;
endclass

So you need to clarify what your concern is.

my concern is

class A;
  int I = $urandom;
endclass

and my question is both $random and $urandom are used inside the class? or only $urandom is permitted?

As I said earlier, you can use $random or $urandom wherever an integral expression is allowed, irrespective of being inside a class or not. There are other restrictions, like side effects, that prevent certain functions and operators (e.g. ++,–) from being used in constraint expressions.

SystemVerilog introduces $urandom, which should replace the legacy use of Verilog’s $random. $urandom has the random stability features needed for testbench development that $random does not have. See section 18.14 Random stability in the IEEE 1800-2017 SystemVerilog LRM.

Generally you can use both.
As, SV is backwards compatible to verilog you can use $random.
However,$urandom is most recommended.
See, below example.

// Code your testbench here
// or browse Examples

class k;
  int       i = $random;
  bit[31:0] j = $urandom;
endclass : k

module m;
  k k1;
  initial begin
    k1 = new();
    $display("i=%0d \nj=%0d",k1.i,k1.j);
  end
endmodule : m

Results :-

# vsim -voptargs=+acc=npr
# run -all
# i=303379748 
# j=3948585912

Thanks!

above code is working fine. Means both $random and $urandom are used inside the class?