How do get a report of which sequence is currently running on a sequencer?

How do get a report of which sequence is currently running on a sequencer? This is for debugging/info only … I can already see I have a problem. What I want is a bit more debugging info. There are multiple sequences that can run and I want to know which is queued up to. I’d settle for getting the information (sequence by name) from the driver after get_next_item unblocks, but I don’t see how to do that either.

Just to be clear, I don’t want to know the current_grabber … I want to know which sequence is queued up to run. There is no grabbing or locking, that’s why it’s broken. But it’s broken with odd behaviour and before I simply make the problem go away with better coding I want to verify what I think is happening.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to DHDHD:

This information is in your hands. You should issue a uvm_info. Then its indicating which sequences are running.
See my example below:
task apb_default_seq::body();
`uvm_info(get_type_name(),“default sequence starting”, UVM_MEDIUM)
super.body();
item = apb_seq_item::type_id::create(“item”);
begin
start_item(item);
item.data = data;
item.addr = addr;
item.we = we;
item.delay = delay;
finish_item(item);
end
endtask

In reply to chr_sue:

Thanks. That’s what I did, for both series of sequences up all 4 levels of layers. That’s how I know I need to see what the sequencer has to say about it. The uvm_info (above) is issued before the start_item, but I’ve even peppered each step of the sequencer body with uvm_info’s. All those can tell me is what goes on before finish_item.
I’ve got two sequences, both uvm_infoing that they are running, all is well, but what actually happens is that the second to report is jumping in. Or so say the uvm_infos by order or reporting.
I’ll do some more digging into the under-the-hood order of the get_next_item and start/finish_item events.

In reply to DHDHD:

The driver side print should tell you who won the arbitration at a given cycle. If you want to see all lined up at SQR side, try doing sqr.print() (UVM Sequencer::do_print is equipped to print the arbitration queue).

Good Luck
Srini
www.verifworks.com

In reply to DHDHD:

Could you please explain how you are running your sequences. Dou you have a virtual sequence or do you start your sequences manually on your agent sequencers.

In reply to Srini @ CVCblr.com:

Thanks. I’m going to mark this as a solution because it looks like the best way forward. I’ve looked into the methods in both uvm_sequencer_base and uvm_seuencer_param_base, as well as just m_sequencer.print, but I don’t see any way to get just what you described “see all lined up at SQR side” (which is just what I want). I only ever see this in a print report:

arbitration_queue  array                  0     -

That could be because I’m calling the method when the queue is empty of course. I’ll work at this and post a solution if I figure it out.
Thanks again.

In reply to chr_sue:
I think an example will just clutter up the question. What I want to know is how to find out in any case where a sequencer has sequences queued up, what those sequences are and which is up next to execute.

In reply to DHDHD:

Assuming all you need is to print the arb Q inside SQR whenever it gets populated, here is a trick. I did this a while back for a hanging RAPID-IO code.

class my_sqr extends uvm_sequencer;
 virtual task wait_for_grant(uvm_sequence_base sequence_ptr,
                                     int item_priority = -1,
                                     bit lock_request = 0);
   this.print();
   super.wait_for_grant();
  endtask : wait_for_grant

endclass : my_sqr

I don’t recall the exact code, but the idea is - right when the Q gets populated, print it.

Good Luck
Srini
www.verifworks.com

Quick update - below is the code along with some results, hopefully this is close to what you were looking for (In my case there are 3 sequences running in parallel on a single SQR).

class vl_rgb_2_yuv_sequencer extends uvm_sequencer #(vl_rgb_2_yuv_xactn);

`uvm_component_utils(vl_rgb_2_yuv_sequencer)

function new(string name, uvm_component parent);
    super.new(name,parent);
  endfunction : new

virtual task wait_for_grant(uvm_sequence_base sequence_ptr,
                                     int item_priority = -1,
                                     bit lock_request = 0);

this.print();
    super.wait_for_grant (sequence_ptr, item_priority, lock_request);
  endtask : wait_for_grant

function void do_print (uvm_printer printer);
  super.do_print(printer);
  printer.print_array_header("arbitration_queue", arb_sequence_q.size());
  foreach (arb_sequence_q[i])
    printer.print_string($sformatf("[%0d]", i),
       $sformatf("%s name: %s@seqid%0d",arb_sequence_q[i].request.name(),
                 arb_sequence_q[i].sequence_ptr.get_full_name(),
                 arb_sequence_q[i].sequence_id), "[");
  printer.print_array_footer(arb_sequence_q.size());

printer.print_array_header("lock_queue", lock_list.size());
  foreach(lock_list[i])
    printer.print_string($sformatf("[%0d]", i),
       $sformatf("%s@seqid%0d",lock_list[i].get_full_name(),lock_list[i].get_sequence_id()), "[");
  printer.print_array_footer(lock_list.size());
endfunction

Note - I added extra prints to get full seq name.

Sample Log:

arbitration_queue array 2 -

[0] string 107 SEQ_TYPE_REQ name: uvm_test_top.vl_rgb_2_yuv_env.vl_rgb_2_yuv_agent.vl_rgb_2_yuv_sequencer.dir_seq_0@seqid2

[1] string 108 SEQ_TYPE_REQ name: uvm_test_top.vl_rgb_2_yuv_env.vl_rgb_2_yuv_agent.vl_rgb_2_yuv_sequencer.rand_seq_0@seqid3

lock_queue array 0 -

HTH
Srini
www.verifworks.com

Srini,
This is great. Thanks. I changed the name to “talkative_sequencer” and prepended “Extra:” to all your print statements. This is what I get:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Name                        Type                   Size  Value
sequencer                   talkative_sequencer    -     @726 
  rsp_export                uvm_analysis_export    -     @735 
  seq_item_export           uvm_seq_item_pull_imp  -     @853 
  arbitration_queue         array                  0     -    
  lock_queue                array                  0     -    
  num_last_reqs             integral               32    'd1  
  num_last_rsps             integral               32    'd1  
  Extra: arbitration_queue  array                  0     -    
  Extra: lock_queue         array                  0     -    

But I never see anything in the queue. I’ve actually got a description of the testbench here
http://www.yanthia.com/online/projlets/SequenceLayering/index.html
which has a link to the code on EDA playground. That example has semaphores which fix the original problem, but I still want to know how to see what’s in the queue, or rather, what sequence is next up to run.
It seems obvious that the value of

arb_sequence_q.size())

is always zero. I’m curious about your result. Do you recall ever seeing all three sequences in your report? You showed two. It might be that a single sequence item doesn’t actually sit in the queue proper. I’ll need to take a deeper look into the the uvm sequencer base classes to see what I find.