A race condtion issue when we used uvm_reg_predictor to predict the mirrored value explicitly

Hi, Dear All,

Recently I ran into a problem when I used uvm_reg_predictor, the issue is that first we connect our JTAG monitor with a JTAG register predictor as following :

reg2jtag_predictor.map = regmodel.default_map;
reg2jtag_predictor.adapter = reg2jtag;
reg_env.jtag.monitor.item_collected.connect(reg2jtag_predictor.bus_in);

To catch the register change in time, we connect the jtag.monitor.item_collected.connect() to another component as well, which was intentionly used to monitor the register updates simultaneously.

reg_env.jtag.monitor.item_collected.connect(reg_state.jtag_reg_imp);

function void write_jtag_reg(register_op op);
  uvm_reg reg;
  bit [1:0] config;
  `get_reg_by_addr(reg, op.addr);
  config = reg.get_mirrored_value();
endfunction

We monitored the config variable to determine if our checker should be enabled in time, however we found that there is probably race condition happening. uvm_reg_predictor didn’t update the mirrored value before we want to use it, it always return old value from previous register operation.

Can some one tell me why this happened ? What determined the execution order when we connect one port to multiple implementations (exports) ? Any suggestions to solve this issue ?

Thanks,

WangYang

In reply to caowangyang:

You shouldn’t rely on the execution order of connected imp ports as this is a UVM BCL implementation aspect (not documented, allowed to change, etc.). Why don’t you rather cascade your second component by connecting it to the register predictor?

Something like:

reg2jtag_predictor.reg_ap.connect(reg_state.jtag_reg_imp);

Naturally, you’ll have to change your reg_state component to work with register items instead of JTAG item. This way you’ll ensure that register updates are done before any other code gets executed.

In reply to Tudor Timi:

Hi, Timi,

Thanks for your reply, it makes me much clear, a question is that I am wondering if your codes could work even I didn’t override the write function in uvm_reg_predictor ? Looks to me that I have to create a new class which inherited from uvm_reg_predictor and override the write function, then we could pass the information to cascade component, is that right ?

Thanks,

WangYang

In reply to caowangyang:

uvm_reg_predictor already provides all of the functionality to achieve this. Have a look in the UVM source code.

In reply to Tudor Timi:

Hi, Timi,

Thanks, I got this, your response is very helpful :)

WangYang