Logical question

i am new to functional coverage and system verilog can someone help me in a problem like in a 32 bit address suppose that any two bits are shorted how can we detect that further suppose 3 or 4 bits are shorted or even 15 bits are shorted how can we detect that and write a coverage giving such inputs that every shorted pins are covered, how to give inputs so that i am 100 percent satisfied, please explain in little detail as i am beginner

you can write at that address followed by read

not understood sabarish i already told you i am beginner so will need a little bit more explanation

Hi hk,
I meant you need to write coverage bins for all combinations starting with 2’b11, 3’b111 till 32’hFFFF_FFFF to achieve 100% coverage!!

can you just give me an example code i have just started and in that how will i detect how many bits are shorted and which are those bits, shorting is happening while transferring of data through protocol, it might be due to DUT logic also

sorry for asking soln but trying it for 15 days but unable to reach to any conclusion

and i guess if i write according to u i will get 32 factorial bins, i am looking for optimised soln too

This is a very big question to be completely answered in a forum.

Coverage is about recording that certain scenarios have happened in a test that has passed. Checking that the each scenario passes the test is a problem that can be separated from the coverage collection.

Let’s start with 2 bits shorted out of 2 bits, which is 32choose2=496 possible combinations. That could be implemented using a nested for loop.

for(int i=0;i<32;i++)
  for(int j=0;j<32;j++) begin
     if (i ==j) break; // skip same bit
     test_senario(i,j);
     cover_senario.sample(i,j);
end

To test that two bits are shorted, you need to write two different values to an address where one address bit is 0, and the other is a 1. The other address bits can be random.

task test_senario(int, x,y);
    bit [31:0] addr1, addr2, data1, data2, xdata1, xdata2;
    addr1 = $urandom;
    addr2 = addr1;
    addr1[x] = 0;  addr1[y] = 1; 
    addr2[x] = 1;  addr2[y] = 0; 
    data1 = $urandom;
    data2 = $urandom;
    write_bus(addr1,data1);
    write_bus(addr2,data2);
    read_bus(data1,xdata1);
    read_bus(data2,xdata2);
    if (data1 != xdata1 || data2 != xdata2)
       $error("data does not match);
endtask

I don’t think you need to worry about three or more bits being shorted, this test should work for that as well.

You can use a coverage cross to sample the two bits

covergroup cg with function sample(int x,y);
  coverpoint x { bins select[] = {[0:1]}; }
  coverpoint y { bins select[] = {[0:1]}; }
  short: cross x,y {
   ignore_bins same = short with (x==y);
  }
endgroup
cg cover_scenario = new;

thank u sir for replying i will tru understanding solution if i am not able to understand will ask

thank u sir for replying i will try understanding solution if i am not able to understand will ask just one help can u give one example of one 4 bit address only how your coverage is detecting short